Your bridal gown is the most important dress you will ever wear. It is essential that any adjustments made to your gown be done by a true professional. Our seamstresses have countless years of experience in bridal alterations. All clients are given a written estimate up front of any alterations charges - no surprises at the end! Let Rina’s Bridal Boutique make your dress perfect for your special day!
IS THERE A PIECE OF YOUR HEART MISSING ON YOUR WEDDING DAY?
WE HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO MAKE A FEW SPECIAL ALTERATIONS.
Alterations 101: A brides guide to your perfect dress!
For many of you, this will be the first time you’ve ever had anything altered, let alone a wedding gown! The following is a summary of things to expect when having alterations done to your bridal gown. Even if you do not choose to have your alterations done with us, this information will be useful to you, as most every gown needs some kind of alterations.
We kindly ask that you limit your guests at fittings to no more than 2 people, and please no children. You will have an average of three fittings, sometimes less, sometimes more; it all depends on the work that needs to be done.
What happens at the First Fitting?
You and our seamstress will talk about how you want the gown to look and our
seamstress evaluates the work that needs to be done. She pins the gown and makes
notes. You will be fitted from the top down, starting at the shoulders and ending at the hem/bustle. Please address any concerns at this time.
There is only one charge for alterations, based on the work needed, and the intricacy of the gown. The only time you would be charged extra is in the following cases:
-You need or request work at subsequent fittings that were not in the initial quote
-The dress is finished and your weight changes resulting in additional work
Payment for the balance of the gown (if applicable) and all
alterations are due at the first fitting.
The work has been done according to what was discussed with the seamstress at the previous fitting. She will be using basting stitches, a temporary hand stitch that can be easily removed. There may also be pins in your dress; this is simply to verify fit and position before making any permanent changes.
If the dress is small or large at the second fitting do not panic! Everything is temporarily allowing us to make changes right up to the end. This may be your final fitting, before final pick up and try-on, or you may require a third.
Everything is checked one final time before cutting fabric from the gown, more adjustments will and can be made. Sometimes a fourth fitting is necessary.
Wedding dresses usually need some form of alteration, and they are always pressed after that laborious process. During alterations, the gowns are squashed in a bag and run through the sewing machines etc. After all, alterations are finished, every layer of the dress (some dresses have up to 6 or more!) has to be professionally pressed, put on a form and then placed in a special bag. The proper pressing of wedding gowns is a highly specialized field and therefore requires us to charge a fee.
We request that you try on your gown one last time; if any adjustments are needed they can be done on the spot before you take the dress with you. The gown will have been professionally pressed by our presser. It will be in a long bag specially made to accommodate pressed bridal gowns without squishing them. This is a LARGE item, we ask that you plan which vehicle you bring to your pick up accordingly, too many people in the car or not enough room to lay the gown flat results in wrinkling! Our associates will assist you with your gown to your car.
Lastly, avoid leaving your dress in the car for too long if possible, and hang on the highest place (like a door) when you arrive at your destination.
A Few Notes
1. Our seamstresses are extremely talented and highly skilled professionals who are experts in their craft.
2. Prices vary based on degree of difficulty in altering the gown: it is based on the work that needs to be done, the intricacy and inner construction of the gown.
3. A wedding gown does not stretch like our everyday clothing does. Every pound counts! Women’s weight is not static, for one, we fluctuate based on our hormones, and if your fittings occur before or during your period the fit may change. Please take care to maintain weight once alterations have started.
4. Losing weight/gaining muscle: Remember muscle weighs more than fat! You may not think you have lost weight as scale does not reflect it, but you have lost inches. Alternatively, be careful working out to not gain too much muscle- do more high reps, low weights̶otherwise your dress might be too small!!
5. The alteration of couture garments (such as wedding gowns) is a slow, delicate process and we do NOT cut fabric right away. In addition, sometimes we must complete one part of the alterations before we can begin on the next step. So please be patient, and “Trust the process”.
6. A $50 pinning/consulting fee will be charged if you decide after your first fitting that you no longer wish us to do the alterations
7. If we have started to work on the gown, there are no refunds.
The process should be started 4 months ‒ 6 weeks before your wedding.
YES. Alterations are only done with appointment do to the high demand of alterations, please understand that the sale consultants and front staff are not part of the alterations team. Rina does the marking and pinning on every single dress, so please make your appointment as far in advance as you can.
Our alterations start at approximately $50 - $350
You should have any and all undergarments that you wish to try with your gown. Most brides use a long line bra/bustier (We sell fabulous bustiers here in the salon that the majority of our brides end up wearing!) We also sell great bra cups. Bring with you Spanx or similar shapewear, and especially your shoes!
The exact shoes must be worn to each and every fitting. The seamstress will have to reschedule your fitting if you do not have your shoes!
In addition, changing your undergarments and/or shoes changes the fit of the gown drastically! If you change anything, such as your bra from fitting to fitting, it will cause the gown to be fitted incorrectly.
Adding a bustle to your wedding gown provides you the opportunity to wear your dress all night long, while also being able to dance the night away!